VISA / Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (CoE)


 Based on the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, in principle a foreign national wishing to enter Japan is required to have a valid passport issued by the government of their own country with a visa issued by the Government of Japan.
 The visa indicates that it is appropriate for the foreign national to enter and stay in Japan. Furthermore, holding a visa is only one of the requirements for entering Japan and does not guarantee that the holder of the visa will be able to enter Japan.
 To apply for a visa, the applicant must apply in person to an embassy or consulate. There is no system by which a proxy can carry out the application procedures in Japan and visas cannot be obtained after arriving in Japan.

The Visa Information Telephone Service System,
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of JAPAN (MOFA)

TEL:03-5501-8431(24 hrs/day)

2.Certificate of Eligibility for Status Residence Status (CoE)

 A Certificate of Eligibility is issued before a visa application by a regional immigration authority under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice as evidence that the foreign national meets the conditions for landing in Japan, including the requirements that the activity in which the foreign national wishes to engage in Japan at the time of the landing examination is not fraudulent and is an activity that comes under a status of residence (excluding Temporary Visitor Status) stipulated in the Immigration Control Act.
 A foreign national in possession of a CoE can get a visa issued more easily at an embassy or consulate within the standard processing period. Also, the landing permission will be given quickly if you show your CoE to an immigration officer.

CoE is valid for 3 months after it is issued, and it will become invalid if you can’t enter Japan in this period.

3.Kyushu University CoE Application

  Kyushu University will apply for your CoE to the Immigration Bureau of Japan as your proxy. We can accept your application on the following online application system.
 When Kyushu University decides your enrollment, we will send you a log-in ID and Password for “Online Application System” by E-mail.

Online Application System

approximately two months prior to the scheduled arrival date in Japan

  • Please be sure to apply for your CoE by the deadline, as late applications may result in a possibility that permission for entry into Japan may not be granted by your scheduled date.
  • Because all information in the application for the CoE is related to your entry visa, please be sure to give us true and accurate information.


  • International students and researchers who will stay at Kyushu University
    *excluding Temporary Visitor Status
  • Their marital partner and/or children
    *Application is accepted only if the applicant inputs their information at the same time.

4.Temporary Visitor Visa

 International students and researchers whose scheduled stay is less than 90 days in total, and who will receive no salary from Kyushu University during their stay, they can apply for a “Short-Term Stay (Temporary Visitor)” by submitting the necessary documents to the Japanese embassy/consulate.

 Due to Visa Exemption Arrangements, visas are not required for nationals of certain countries and regions if certain conditions are met.

 When applying for a visa at an Japanese embassy or consulate, you might be requested to submit additional documents in some cases.

*In case that you apply for a “Short-Term Stay (Temporary Visitor)”, you need to visit an Japanese embassy or consulate and do the application procedures by yourself.